- 1 Cup bloody butcher grits
- 4 cups of water or milk (we mix them half and half)
- 1-2 Tsp. Salt
- ¼ to ½ tsp. Pepper
- 3 to 4 tbsp. Butter
- Cheese (optional)
- Bring liquid to a simmer.
- Whisk in your grits and add salt.
- Cook for about 15-20 minutes on low heat. If your grits
become too thick add more milk while cooking, no more
than a couple of tablespoons at a time.
- When finished, add butter, pepper, and of course cheese if
- If you desire to remove the chaff from the grits, first pour uncooked grits in a bowl of water and whisk. The chaff will float to the top and the grits will sink. Pour out the water with the chaff off the top, then start the cooking process.
- Save leftover grits and use them to make grit cakes for supper.